Being vague is good for getting out of making plans you don't really want to keep. It's also useful when making a resolution you don't want to keep. Let's take this new year by the tits and actually FOCUS on a specific, exciting, scary GOAL. Start here:
- Throw away any resolutions you've made in the past. No recycling!
- Make it a positive statement. Replace I will not overeat with I will make my portions smaller.
- Choose One. Don't overload yourself trying to change everything you don't like about your life. Focus on what's most important to you.
- Think longterm. A resolution isn't met in a week. This is your change in 2013! Envision yourself a year from today having reached your goal. How do you look? How does it feel?
- Now break it down into smaller bites. What is your weekly resolution? Monthly?
- Keep track!! Whether you weigh in, keep a written log, or a calendar to mark off the days, a record of your successes (and fallbacks) will offer valuable insight when creating new behaviors.
- Look forward. If you meet your goal, what will be your resolution next year? What opportunities will it open for you?
As for me, I have my 2013 calendar up on my door and I am marking off each day I stick to my resolution. I have to look at it every day before I leave my room. Stay FOCUSED and HAPPY NEW YEAR!