For so long I felt that I was "in the closet" about my opinion of juice cleanses. Since coming out, the comments have flooded in - most people agreeing, some adamantly opposing. I believe you have to do what is right for your body, which means paying attention and being aware of the signals your body gives you. As a follow-up, EverydayHealth.com has a very informative slideshow about the pros & cons of several popular juice fasts. Check it out and post your feedback!
Adina Niemerow is a client of mine at Soulcycle LA & also happens to be a top-notch nutritionist and holistic chef! In fact she has her own cleanse called the SUPER CLEANSE. She caters to celebs & has been featured in Food&Wine and DailyCandy. After an especially sweaty class, she promised to share one of her favorite recipes with us and the secret to her energy! Here it is: SUPER SPROUT CHOPPED SALAD. Read on, try it out, and check out Adina's Super Cleanse.
Super Sprout Chopped Salad (as featured in FOOD&WINE) Vegan-Gluten free-High Vibration- Energy food!
I love this salad--it tastes delicious but even better it really gives me energy. You can make a large batch and eat it all week.
1. 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/3-inch sticks
2. 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4. 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
5. 1 tablespoon ume vinegar (Japanese plum vinegar)
6. 1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
7. 1 tablespoon tamari
8. 1 teaspoon honey
9. 2 cups lentil, mung or adzuki sprouts
10. 2 romaine hearts, coarsely chopped
11. 4 small Japanese or Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/2-inch dice
12. 2 cups packed mesclun
13. 2 large scallions, finely chopped
14. 8 oil-cured olives, pitted and chopped
15. 1 firm, ripe Hass avocado, diced
16. 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 450°. On a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss the sweet potato sticks with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil; spread in an even layer. Season with salt and bake for about 12 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are just tender.
2. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, ume and raspberry vinegars, tamari and honey with the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Season the dressing with salt.
3. In another small bowl, toss the sprouts with 1 tablespoon of the dressing and let stand for 10 minutes, tossing a few times.
4. In a large bowl, chop all the lettuces into a medium dice- the romaine, cucumbers, mesclun, scallions, olives and avocado and toss. Add the remaining dressing and toss well. Transfer the salad to a platter and top with the roasted sweet potatoes, followed by the marinated sprouts. Sprinkle with the black sesame seeds and serve.
Ok, this heat is outta control. I can’t seem to stay adequately cool and hydrated and I’m just sick of water and coconut water! Today I brewed a giant pot of mint tea, added a lil agave, and then a TON of ice. Lastly grabbed a bunch of mint, ground it up and threw it in. Voilà- a cool beverage with taste, minimal calories… and guess what? I found out mint is used to cleanse the stomach and eliminate toxins from the body.