Some people take instagram pics of their meals. I make a whole damn video about it. You asked and I delivered. Here's what goes into my body to fuel me through an entire day of cycling, spazzing, twerking, texting and spazzing. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Snacks. And more snacks.
As you know, I am NOT a morning person. Eating breakfast has always been a struggle but I find that on the days that I actually manage to get a small meal in before my day starts full swing- I have more energy and I make better choices for the rest of my meals. Plus, a well-fueled workout is much more effective and can help burn more fat throughout the day than working out on an empty stomach. All good things. I often eat twice before noon- a pre-workout breakfast and a post. (Always follow your workouts with at least a snack. For me, my post-workout meal is the larger of the two.)
So go ahead and hit snooze. These are my top 3 breakfasts that I can make in under 3min!
PROTEIN SHAKE 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or skim milk 1 scoop protein powder ½ a banana ¼ cup strawberries 205 calories, 18g protein, 24g carbs, 5g fiber
YOGURT w/ FRUIT 1/3 cup High fiber cereal 6oz Greek yogurt ½ cup Berries or 1 sliced kiwi or 1/2 Mango 217 calories, 1g fat, 21g protein, 42g carbs, 15g fiber
TOAST with almond butter and sliced banana 280 calories, 11g fat, 6g protein, 44g carbs, 5g fiber
I gotta thank the Nonstoppers for this one. By request, here’s my video on how to stretch. I’ve selected my top three stretches for your hip flexors, glutes, and inner thighs. First, the half-assed “hey I can kinda, sorta, nearly touch my toes” stretches have gotta stop. Instead, try some of these…
1. Hip Flexors Stretch – lunge and squeeze your butt cheeks together (with your glutes, not with your hands, duh). Push your heel down and bend your knee (on the front leg). You should feel it in the hip flexors. This is a great stretch for cyclists.
2. Inner Thigh Stretch (aka adductor stretch, aka the sexy stretch) – put your weight on one leg and come down into a squat. Stick out the other leg and hold it. It may be difficult to keep your balance so feel free to use a chair. Lean into your hip.
3. Glutes Stretch – sit down and cross one leg over the other with your ankle against your thigh. This will create a “leg hole”. Link your hands through your “leg hole” and around your thigh. Lie on your back and gently pull your foot (the one on your other leg) to your chest.
Watch the video for more details on how to stretch properly, or just to see me squeeze my ass. And feel free to ask questions in the comments.
My job requires a lot of exercise and offers me very little time to myself. Because of this I've become a master of speed cooking! And I mean, of course, cooking healthy food quickly...not cooking on Adderall. Watch my video to see how to make 3 healthy dishes in 5 minutes:
- Marinated Kale Salad (if you have more time, check out this recipe: Autumn Kale Salad)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Steamed Broccoli
What You'll Need:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- Lemon Juice (or half a lemon)
- Olive Oil
- A pot
- Steamer & some paper towels (optional- not necessary)
- 3 bowls (1 must be microwavable)
What To Do:
- Rinse kale & broccoli.
- Throw a few tablespoons of water into the pot and then insert the steamer.
- Cut up broccoli and place it on top of the steamer.
- Cover the pot and turn on high heat.
- Cut up your sweet potato into chunks and place into microwavable bowl.
- Cover bowl with damp paper towel.
- Place bowl into microwave for about 3 -5 minutes until soft.
- Squeeze dry the kale with a paper towel.
- Place kale into a bowl.
- Squeeze lemon, add a splash of olive oil onto the kale.
- Massage and squeeze the kale, then add some almonds.
- Salt & pepper the kale to taste.
- Once broccoli is bright green (2-3min!), remove and place into a bowl & season to taste.
I like to add some hot sauce to my broccoli or kale salad, and some peanut butter to my sweet potatoes, but it's not necessary.
These three dishes provide an assortment of protein; vitamins C, D, B6; iron; fiber; and a whole lot more good stuff! Kale is especially wonderful because it helps detoxify the liver - which is perfect for party people like me.