Some people take instagram pics of their meals. I make a whole damn video about it. You asked and I delivered. Here's what goes into my body to fuel me through an entire day of cycling, spazzing, twerking, texting and spazzing. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Snacks. And more snacks.
Head over to well + GOOD today to hear how myself and some of my fitness friends transform our workouts for the summer. You guy's already know how into Sandbag training I am, but there are so many other awesome ways to increase your fitness AND your vitamin D levels in the summer. Outdoor runs, bootcamp in the park, swims at the local pool (or ocean!), yoga on the rooftop...get out there, and get sweating.
It's another episode of KYM'S KITCHEN where I teach you how to cook healthy as any capable 5yr old could. One of my FAVORITE things since moving to LA is the fact that I can ride my bike to the local farmers market and pick up the freshest produce. Today I got some Brussels Sprouts, and I am going to show you a really fast way to make them. Today's recipe is my super-duper easy SWEET and SPICY brussels sprouts.
This is Part 2 in our Roadtrip Series (#KymandAlliGoWest) where we tackle food, fitness and FUN in every city. It's New Orleans' turn: Booty bounce, beer and BARS! er, I mean, barre. Well, both, actually. Despite a bit of drinking in the street, this video still caters to the healthy n' fit. I interview NOLA Marathon 5th place woman, Jean the Machine on how she balances Nola's ultra party life with her ultra marathon training.
It's Summertime, and I HATE EATING BREAKFAST.
But in the summer especially, I wake up and I am hot, and sticky, and I just want to drink coffee. And if it was up to me, I would just drink (cold brew) coffee. But then I would go to my workouts and die, because I didn't eat anything.
Today I am going to show you how to make two smoothies, that will literally take you less than two minutes each to make. They are full of fat burning foods! Things that rev your metabolism, fight off cancer, give you vitamins and minerals, and OH YEAH, improve your immune system.
I even sneak a little caffeine in mine, so I can wake up in the morning. They are the perfect breakfast for summertime, because they're cold and you don't have to feel like you just ate something really heavy. We need all the help we can get! IT. IS. HOT!
Smoothie #1 Green Tea Avocado Ginger
Iced Green Tea
Banana (frozen to thicken your smoothie)
Smoothie #2 PB+J The Healthy Way
Liquid Base (either Coffee, Soy Milk, even Coconut Water!)
Assorted Frozen Berries
Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
[youtube width="560" height="315"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnpoyRWG4HQ&list=UUM6cd0hPii_FJOzZaxqGj7w[/youtube]
As you know, I am NOT a morning person. Eating breakfast has always been a struggle but I find that on the days that I actually manage to get a small meal in before my day starts full swing- I have more energy and I make better choices for the rest of my meals. Plus, a well-fueled workout is much more effective and can help burn more fat throughout the day than working out on an empty stomach. All good things. I often eat twice before noon- a pre-workout breakfast and a post. (Always follow your workouts with at least a snack. For me, my post-workout meal is the larger of the two.)
So go ahead and hit snooze. These are my top 3 breakfasts that I can make in under 3min!
PROTEIN SHAKE 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or skim milk 1 scoop protein powder ½ a banana ¼ cup strawberries 205 calories, 18g protein, 24g carbs, 5g fiber
YOGURT w/ FRUIT 1/3 cup High fiber cereal 6oz Greek yogurt ½ cup Berries or 1 sliced kiwi or 1/2 Mango 217 calories, 1g fat, 21g protein, 42g carbs, 15g fiber
TOAST with almond butter and sliced banana 280 calories, 11g fat, 6g protein, 44g carbs, 5g fiber
HEY GUYS!!! Oh…sorry...
I’ll write quieter.
This week’s video features my top 5 favorite homemade hangover cures. This comes shortly after my Walk of Shame Workout…I think you get the idea of what I’ve been up to in LA.
But I feel no shame. Partying, socializing, and even moderate drinking is all a part of a healthy lifestyle. Although, just like the burn the day after a powerful workout, there is a draw back to a night of…uh…living a healthy lifestyle.
1. Bananas – when you drink a lot, you pee a lot; and when you pee a lot, you pee out stuff your body needs…like potassium. Bananas are a fantastic source of potassium. This is by far the simplest method of treating a hangover – even a monkey could do it.
2. Water – a no-brainer. Drink this stuff like your life depends on it. I keep a jar by my bed that I fill with water. I drink all of it before I go to bed to minimize the hangover effects. Drink it in the morning as well and avoid stuff that will dehydrate you – like more alcohol.
3. Ginger tea – I make a killer ginger tea. This is great for a hangover because it not only hydrates you, it can help settle your stomach, and help you metabolize the alcohol in your system. First, cut off a piece of ginger root and slice it up into small chunks. Now, you can either boil it with the water and then strain out the ginger, or let the ginger steep in the hot water. Squeeze a slice of lemon in the tea, and add some honey.
4. Chicken soup – this is a good way to get food in your belly when you don’t feel like eating anything solid. Its got some salt, it’ll hydrate you, and give you some protein. I like to put broccoli in mine as the soup is heating up because of the B vitamins in broccoli – B vitamins are great after a night of drinking.
5. Smoothie – I love to toss in some frozen fruit instead of ice in my smoothie because ice will water it down. Try some frozen blueberries, frozen mango, fresh blackberries, fresh pineapple, and nonfat greek yogurt – put it all in a blender and blend until your desired thickness. Add some honey if its too tart.
Be kind to yourself today. Your hangover is your body saying "give me time to recover!" Listen to it.
HAPPY BBQ WEEKEND! 4th of July is all about burgers and potato salad. Don't be a bummer and show up with low-fat hot dogs with low-carb buns... Bring something classic! (but deceivingly healthy)
This "Fried" Chicken is delicious and satisfies even the most stubborn comfort food lovers. You will need: Chicken (I prefer boneless) Mustard Honey or Jam Raw oats A slice of your Favorite whole grain bread
1. Take boneless skinless breasts. Cut them lengthwise to make them thinner 2. In a bowl, mix mustard with tbsp of honey or jam (my fave is spicy brown mustard and a tsp of raspberry jam) 3. In a separate bowl take 1 cup of oats and the bread (toasted) and crumble together with your hands Add salt n pepper ;-) 4. Coat the chicken in the mustard mix first then coat in the crumb mixture 5. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for apx 12min!
Have a great healthy weekend!!'
Here's another simple summer salad to bring to a bbq that won't set you back in your fitness goals. It's super easy, and the girls at the Bridgehampton Soulcycle house LOVED it. ;-)
YOU'LL NEED: cucumbers tomatoes (regular or cherry for a little sweeter taste) dill basil sweet onion (white) to taste: olive oil (sparingly) white or rice vinegar (be generous) cayenne pepper salt /pepper
I don't have measurements since I eyeballed it all. Basically LOTS of cucumber. Everything else is to season it. Enjoy!!