Some people take instagram pics of their meals. I make a whole damn video about it. You asked and I delivered. Here's what goes into my body to fuel me through an entire day of cycling, spazzing, twerking, texting and spazzing. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Snacks. And more snacks.
Head over to well + GOOD today to hear how myself and some of my fitness friends transform our workouts for the summer. You guy's already know how into Sandbag training I am, but there are so many other awesome ways to increase your fitness AND your vitamin D levels in the summer. Outdoor runs, bootcamp in the park, swims at the local pool (or ocean!), yoga on the rooftop...get out there, and get sweating.
It's another episode of KYM'S KITCHEN where I teach you how to cook healthy as any capable 5yr old could. One of my FAVORITE things since moving to LA is the fact that I can ride my bike to the local farmers market and pick up the freshest produce. Today I got some Brussels Sprouts, and I am going to show you a really fast way to make them. Today's recipe is my super-duper easy SWEET and SPICY brussels sprouts.
New video day! As you know, I just completed a cross-country road trip. Spending hours in the car isn't really a fitness geeks idea of fun. So I planned a workout in every place we stopped. I got to try out new things, check out trending studios, and spend my driving days sore and satisfied. Here's the first video from the road featuring... NASHVILLE where I got one to try one of my all-time favorite classes at The Hotbox. So watch the video and follow along the NonStop tour...
Joseph King "Call Bobby" (catch me dancing in this music video!)
No Way Josie "Freakness" Turnup Remix **FREE DOWNLOAD**
The Hotbox (LOOOOVE THIS PLACE!) A kick-ass hour-long cardio kickboxing workout.
The Family Wash: Laundromat-turned dive bar with live music.
Most college students will gain between 15 and 25 pounds by the end of their sophomore year. One of the main causes of the freshman 15? Lack of exercise. Here's a great graphic that breaks down the stats and offers simple solutions for how to stay healthy. Oh, and another great way to get your back-to-school exercise anywhere/anytime?The KymNonStop Youtube channel. Short, no-equipment in-home (or dormroom) workouts for your freshman booty. Go check it out!
graphic offered by BestColleges.org
Summer is here and it's time for another salad recipe to keep the kitchen cool, and your waistline trim! As you know- I advocate preservative-free clean eating. Have you looked at the ingredient list of your favorite dressing lately? Do the words "sugar" "xanthan gum" "syrup" or "sorbic acid" pop up? Ew. If you wouldn't eat it alone- why would you eat it IN something? Check out the new recipe with all fresh real food ingredients, and if you like it, be sure to browse these as well: * Marinated raw kale * Cucumber salad * Watermelon arugula salad and Make-your-own-dressing: A guide for the clueless
Grilled Chicken Salad with a Fresh Strawberry Dressing From EatingWell.com
This is scrumptious salad with only 321 calories!
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEED…
• 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed • 8 ounces thin asparagus, stem ends snapped off, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups) • 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, stemmed (2 cups) (see Tip) • 8 ounces snow peas, stemmed (2 cups) • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice • 1 tablespoon almond oil, or canola oil • 1/4 teaspoon salt • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper • 1/2 cup chopped scallions • 2 teaspoons canola oil • 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning • 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted • 4 whole strawberries, for garnish • Fresh Strawberry Dressing, (recipe in link)
HERE’S WHAT YOU DO…
1. Boil water for cooking vegetables and prepare a grill. 2. Toss asparagus, sugar snaps and snow peas in boiling water for 2 minutes. Strain, and then rinse with cold water to refresh. Blot dry with paper towels. 3. Whisk almond oil (or canola oil), lemon juice, and salt and pepper in a bowl. 4. Add the vegetables and scallions (toss to coat them really nicely). 5. Rub the chicken with the oil and sprinkle with the lemon-pepper seasoning. 6. Oil the grill rack and then grill the chicken (cooking it until lightly browned and no longer pink in the center – tres important!). It should be about 6 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes. 7. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Divvy up the vegetables among 4 plates. Make the chicken look all pretty over the vegetables. 8. Drizzle roughly 3 tablespoons of the Fresh Strawberry Dressing over each salad. 9. Garnish with almonds and a strawberry. 10. Eat up!!!
Nutrition facts: 17 grams of fat, 49 milligrams cholesterol, 17 grams carbohydrates, 25 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, 356 milligrams of sodium, and 633 milligrams of potassium. Vitamin C (110% daily value), Selenium (24% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (20% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Check out my other great summer dishes:
One of my awesome clients sent me this recipe. It's tasty and seriously easy! Kale is an incredibly healthy leafy green and a frequent feature on my dinner menu.
Autumn Kale Salad
- 4 Bunches Leaf Green Kale, stems removed & chopped
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 3 bunches of scallions, finely chopped
- 2 cups dried currants
-2 cups toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2-3 tsps. chopped, fresh garlic
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Mix olive oil, lemon juice and seasonings. Mix well. Add in remaining ingredients and toss. (serves 12)
HAPPY BBQ WEEKEND! 4th of July is all about burgers and potato salad. Don't be a bummer and show up with low-fat hot dogs with low-carb buns... Bring something classic! (but deceivingly healthy)
This "Fried" Chicken is delicious and satisfies even the most stubborn comfort food lovers. You will need: Chicken (I prefer boneless) Mustard Honey or Jam Raw oats A slice of your Favorite whole grain bread
1. Take boneless skinless breasts. Cut them lengthwise to make them thinner 2. In a bowl, mix mustard with tbsp of honey or jam (my fave is spicy brown mustard and a tsp of raspberry jam) 3. In a separate bowl take 1 cup of oats and the bread (toasted) and crumble together with your hands Add salt n pepper ;-) 4. Coat the chicken in the mustard mix first then coat in the crumb mixture 5. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for apx 12min!
Have a great healthy weekend!!'