Some people take instagram pics of their meals. I make a whole damn video about it. You asked and I delivered. Here's what goes into my body to fuel me through an entire day of cycling, spazzing, twerking, texting and spazzing. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner. Snacks. And more snacks.
It's Summertime, and I HATE EATING BREAKFAST.
But in the summer especially, I wake up and I am hot, and sticky, and I just want to drink coffee. And if it was up to me, I would just drink (cold brew) coffee. But then I would go to my workouts and die, because I didn't eat anything.
Today I am going to show you how to make two smoothies, that will literally take you less than two minutes each to make. They are full of fat burning foods! Things that rev your metabolism, fight off cancer, give you vitamins and minerals, and OH YEAH, improve your immune system.
I even sneak a little caffeine in mine, so I can wake up in the morning. They are the perfect breakfast for summertime, because they're cold and you don't have to feel like you just ate something really heavy. We need all the help we can get! IT. IS. HOT!
Smoothie #1 Green Tea Avocado Ginger
Iced Green Tea
Banana (frozen to thicken your smoothie)
Smoothie #2 PB+J The Healthy Way
Liquid Base (either Coffee, Soy Milk, even Coconut Water!)
Assorted Frozen Berries
Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
[youtube width="560" height="315"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnpoyRWG4HQ&list=UUM6cd0hPii_FJOzZaxqGj7w[/youtube]
HEY GUYS!!! Oh…sorry...
I’ll write quieter.
This week’s video features my top 5 favorite homemade hangover cures. This comes shortly after my Walk of Shame Workout…I think you get the idea of what I’ve been up to in LA.
But I feel no shame. Partying, socializing, and even moderate drinking is all a part of a healthy lifestyle. Although, just like the burn the day after a powerful workout, there is a draw back to a night of…uh…living a healthy lifestyle.
1. Bananas – when you drink a lot, you pee a lot; and when you pee a lot, you pee out stuff your body needs…like potassium. Bananas are a fantastic source of potassium. This is by far the simplest method of treating a hangover – even a monkey could do it.
2. Water – a no-brainer. Drink this stuff like your life depends on it. I keep a jar by my bed that I fill with water. I drink all of it before I go to bed to minimize the hangover effects. Drink it in the morning as well and avoid stuff that will dehydrate you – like more alcohol.
3. Ginger tea – I make a killer ginger tea. This is great for a hangover because it not only hydrates you, it can help settle your stomach, and help you metabolize the alcohol in your system. First, cut off a piece of ginger root and slice it up into small chunks. Now, you can either boil it with the water and then strain out the ginger, or let the ginger steep in the hot water. Squeeze a slice of lemon in the tea, and add some honey.
4. Chicken soup – this is a good way to get food in your belly when you don’t feel like eating anything solid. Its got some salt, it’ll hydrate you, and give you some protein. I like to put broccoli in mine as the soup is heating up because of the B vitamins in broccoli – B vitamins are great after a night of drinking.
5. Smoothie – I love to toss in some frozen fruit instead of ice in my smoothie because ice will water it down. Try some frozen blueberries, frozen mango, fresh blackberries, fresh pineapple, and nonfat greek yogurt – put it all in a blender and blend until your desired thickness. Add some honey if its too tart.
Be kind to yourself today. Your hangover is your body saying "give me time to recover!" Listen to it.
My job requires a lot of exercise and offers me very little time to myself. Because of this I've become a master of speed cooking! And I mean, of course, cooking healthy food quickly...not cooking on Adderall. Watch my video to see how to make 3 healthy dishes in 5 minutes:
- Marinated Kale Salad (if you have more time, check out this recipe: Autumn Kale Salad)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Steamed Broccoli
What You'll Need:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- Lemon Juice (or half a lemon)
- Olive Oil
- A pot
- Steamer & some paper towels (optional- not necessary)
- 3 bowls (1 must be microwavable)
What To Do:
- Rinse kale & broccoli.
- Throw a few tablespoons of water into the pot and then insert the steamer.
- Cut up broccoli and place it on top of the steamer.
- Cover the pot and turn on high heat.
- Cut up your sweet potato into chunks and place into microwavable bowl.
- Cover bowl with damp paper towel.
- Place bowl into microwave for about 3 -5 minutes until soft.
- Squeeze dry the kale with a paper towel.
- Place kale into a bowl.
- Squeeze lemon, add a splash of olive oil onto the kale.
- Massage and squeeze the kale, then add some almonds.
- Salt & pepper the kale to taste.
- Once broccoli is bright green (2-3min!), remove and place into a bowl & season to taste.
I like to add some hot sauce to my broccoli or kale salad, and some peanut butter to my sweet potatoes, but it's not necessary.
These three dishes provide an assortment of protein; vitamins C, D, B6; iron; fiber; and a whole lot more good stuff! Kale is especially wonderful because it helps detoxify the liver - which is perfect for party people like me.